If you're a parent you can easily recall the worry you felt when bringing home your new baby. You wanted to make sure everything was perfect, but more importantly, safe. Your puppy will be that same feeling! Your new puppy will bring so much excitement and joy when coming home for the first time. But with anything new, there are worries. All the "what if's" or "can they have's" can cause stress. We just want the best for them after all. We want our pets to live like Kings and Queens! We want them to have the comfiest bed, the most fun toys, and the healthiest of foods. We love to spoil our furry friends with treats and scraps from the table. But, did you know... not all human foods are safe for your pets?
Many people have heard that when it comes to human food chocolate is a big NO. But, did you know that so are coffee and caffeine? Some foods that we think are great and are fine for us, could be life-threatening for your doggo. This blog will give you the knowledge you need to calm the questions of the "what if's" and "can they have" on the human food list.
As we said before, chocolate is never a good idea, but neither is caffeine and coffee. These are often referred to as the "Three C's of Toxic Pet Food". They contain a component in the cocoa seed called methylxanthines- try saying that five times fast! If ingested this can cause vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, seizures, and even death. While you may not be able to live without your midnight chocolate snack or your morning cup of joe.. your fido certainly can. Be sure to keep these foods out of reach of your friend.
A bit of a no-brainer here... While some may find it amusing to give dogs alcohol, it is no laughing matter. Much like in humans, alcohol can cause some serious issues. This includes vomiting, diarrhea, breathing problems, tremors, coma, and in some cases, death. This includes alcoholic beverages and food that may contain alcohol.
Avocados may be a superfood for humans but it's super bad food for dogs! They contain persin which is not only poisonous to dogs but also, to birds and rodents. Persin can cause breathing difficulties, and fluid build-up in the lungs, and often results in death.
Grapes are considered choking hazards for young children and also for your dogs. To add to that, they can cause kidney failure in canines. There's always that one grape that falls to the floor while cleaning them and if your dog is there, they will more than likely beat you to it. If they ingest and begin vomiting, get them to a vet immediately. Even one single grape or raisin can be deadly!
Macadamia nuts are another that even in a small portion can cause big problems. Even just one can cause tremors, vomiting, elevated heart rate, and paralysis in the hind legs. Do not wait for these symptoms to occur, if you saw your doggo ingest a macadamia nut get them to the emergency vet ASAP!
If you're a bread maker or enjoy baking, you know that yeast is the rising agent. Yeast dough will continue to rise in the intestines if ingested causing them to rupture. Fully cooked yeast products should not cause alarm, but still, be aware because the dough is a big "no-go".
Not only are the pits in fruits a choking hazard, but pits of peaches, plums, and apples contain cyanide! Obviously, that is dangerous. Before giving your friend some fruit, be sure to slice your fruit and discard the pits properly.
Too much salt isn't good for humans, so it's natural, that it won't be any better for your pet. Salt can cause a life-threatening disease called sodium ion poisoning. Be sure to be cautious of how much salt is in the human food you may sneak under the table and always keep it out of reach from your pets!
Before ordering a Puppuccino (whipped cream in an espresso-sized cup) know that dairy products can cause a severe upset stomach. Animals are only equipped to handle dairy from their own species. So, milk, cheese, and ice cream are not the best idea. There are many specialty-made dairy products for your pet to enjoy!
Christmas is the time of giving. What's a better gift for a dog than a bone? While there are safe options, it is important to note there are some very serious dangers in certain types of bones. You should avoid bones that splinter easily, such as cooked bones. So, any raw bone would be fine then? Not necessarily. You should also avoid pork bones, rib bones, or any bone smaller than your dog's mouth that they can swallow. If there are splinters or broken pieces they can cause mouth lacerations and internal lacerations as well as, choking, broken teeth, vomiting and diarrhea, severe constipation, and intestinal blockages. Be sure to use caution when throwing your dog a bone!
At Gold Star Pups, we like to educate our new owners so that they will feel confident and have their minds at ease when bringing home their new fur friend. We are always open to questions and will gladly help you gain knowledge! If you haven't selected your pet and are just doing research that's AWESOME! We commend you! If you feel you're ready to add your new furry member, click the button below!
There are many dangers in a home that may not seem obvious to humans. It's important to educate yourself to be able to provide a safe environment for your pet. If you ever find yourself in the unfortunate event where your dog may have ingested these items contact your vet or ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center's 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435. You can find an additional list of toxics if you click the button below.